Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Still Life

I'm here in Lome for a week. Hope you enjoy the pictures. I'll try to post again before the end of the week. Peace.


The big brown thing is snake liver. It was pretty tasty, but I don't recommend snake skin. A little chewy, yet crunchy at the same time, plus the smell was pretty repulsive
Koliko: Togolese french fries, served best with a hot pepper sauce.

Watch your step!



Another enormously thick snake caught near my village.



Remember: Don't stray from trails.




Picture doesn't do this view justice, but Northern Togo is beautifully expansive with green grassy rolling hills for miles in every direction.




My friends and I celebrating a little. We had three birthdays in a one week so we had a joint celebration.
Fufu with peanut sauce


Kids here go crazy for balloons. (note to mom: please send more balloons)

My 25th birthday. Despite the smile, reaching a quarter century was depressing. My quarter life crisis was pretty brutal, but I got through it with boxed red wine and a few good friends.






I am getting doused with baby powder. They cake it all over themselves and then dance. At one point a group of Togolese men lifted me up on their shoulders and danced around. My friends didn't get a picture of this because they were "laughing too damn hard."




Persed lips, hunched back, the dorky thumbs up: That is the official lame white man dance.

Wrestling at the Evela Festival






Evela Wrestling Festival. They hang dogs from trees and then eat them later.

Picking insects off my leg


He's searching for bananas down my shirt.



He was adorable, but a little scary. They got some sharp teeth.



I fulfilled one of my main PC goals: Befriend a monkey.



Some young campers selling goods they made at the market.


My cabin. The Lionkillers!




Jake and James hanging out watching the campers at the market.


My cabin's banner they made. We were known as the Lionkillers!


Camp Espoir 2009: The Camp we run for AIDS orphans. It was an awesome week. Here is everyone dancing around a campfire.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi Bro,

Couple of things for ya:

1. You have scary toes.
2. I'm liking the beard. Can you get a faux hawk like those other guys too?
3. Bring me home a monkey.
4. Please don't show any more pictures of dead dogs hanging in trees. :(
5. Sorry your birthday wasn't all you hoped. 25 is great, you have lots to be proud of and much more to look forward to.
6. I love you and miss you!

~Sissy

katy said...

Disgusting Grant! Not sure I can stand anymore sneak peaks at your blog for a while...I almost lost my dinner...and that was 5 hours ago. Glad you're having fun though. XOXO

Anonymous said...

Hi Grant,

I can see why your parents and sisters are so proud of you. You are meeting so many challenges and finding joy in life. Togo is lucky to have you there.
Your writing brings me with you and your photos are fantastic. I love that you share your feelings and experiences with us. You are making a huge difference in the lives of those beautiful people. You have a very strong faith and you are amazing! Miss you lots.
Love, Auntie Jeanne and Uncle Pete

chib said...

hanging a dog!!! that is cruel