Saturday, March 14, 2009

Heat, Hunting and Finding Happiness

Man, it's heatin up. The winter winds blowing down from the sahara subsided and last month became more humid and hot. We have had a few scattered rains here and there which has been nice, and the official rainy season begins in the next couple weeks. The humidity will get worse but at least I won't have to conserve water anymore.



I just finished In-Service Training so it was great to see all my friends from Pre-Service Training again. We partied every night and told hilarious stories about our lives so far. Everyone seems to be in good spirits but it was sad knowing that will be the last time together as a group. But I have finished my first three months at post which are supposed to be the hardest so I am staying positive about the future. My french continues to improve and I feel more and more comfortable in village each week. Some of the projects I am thinking about trying to start are:



Apiculture(beekeeping)

Alley-cropping to improve the soil

Environmental Ed. with a possible student garden

Moringa Tree Cultivation

Water Purification



It will be difficult. People do not have disposable income here to pursue new interests so one has to start small in terms of work projects and work up. Usually a volunteer's second year is done doing bigger funded projects, which I will then be asking for all of your help.



My health has remained pretty steady, for Togo at least. I have been fighting nasty heat rashes since it became more humid, as do all the volunteers. Plus every little bite or scratch makes me worry about infection and some times I am convince a bruise is actually a guinea worm about to explode out of my skin, but really I'm just paranoid.



My neighbor came home with an enormous dead snake the other day whiwh he killed with a stick. It was about as long as I am tall and as thick as my forearm at the elbow. It was black so I'm saying it was a Black Mamba to make the story better, because that night we grilled it up and ate it. There really is nothing better than little Mamba marinated with onion ginger pepper and a buillon cube. Good stuff, but hard to pick the meat of all its tiny little bones. My neighbor just ate the bones , even the spinal cord. It is my belief that Africans have teeth made of steel and stomachs of iron. Tomorrow I am going to try to post pictures. I don't yet know if I'll be able to but if not tomorrow than eventually.



So that was probably the coolest thing I've done in the last month and a half. Oh I ate bush rat too. It was kind of gross seeing the fur and tail still attached to the skin perched upon my pile of rice. But, hey, that's protein here. When my neighbor doesn't kill some exotic animal out in the bush, I basically live as a vegetarian.



It's crazy to think that next week is my six month anniversary in country. Time really is flying, even if some days are a little monotonous. I am never quite sure what you guys back home want to know, so if you have any questions write them in the comment section, and next time I will try to do a little question and answer thing with you. I'll leave you all with a quote from a second year volunteer who I talked with last week. I was discussing my first three months at post and I told him what I do for fun and how I pass the days. "That's what is so great about being at post," he told me, "you remember how to make yourself happy." And he was exactly right.

Remember how to make yourself happy. Because sometimes we forget, even when we think we haven't.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Grant, you are such an inspiration and we all have a lot to learn from you. What we may perceive as adverse conditions, you stay positive and focused. Your cup is always half full.

How is the drumming going?
Love you and miss you....Mom

katy said...

Hey Grant! I love reading about your adventures. You are amazing and we are so proud of all you are doing there. You just have such a positive spirit. Hey, my best friend Rachel has a sister exactly your age who is in Ghana right now. Check out her blog at www.rebeccakconte.blogspot.com XOXO Katy and family

Anonymous said...

Hey Grant, We miss you so much and love hearing about your crazy adventures. This "Black Mamba" did it taste like chicken? We received your letter you wrote in January, it was post marked Feb. 24th and we got it two days ago. We will let the rest of Montana send it and then send you more pics and letters, oh yeah and some spices. Well we miss you and can't wait to hear from you again.
Bill

Anonymous said...

Hey bro,

I totally bet dad is jealous of your snake story because it beats his snake story from the Deshutes River. Hope you captured a picture of the "mamba". I would love to see pictures or your house and your village. I am so proud of what you are doing and am excited to hear more about what projects you will focus on. Keep your head up and stay strong.

Love Sissy, Bill and Owen

laura c. said...

Did you get to make a belt out of the snake? because that would have been cool. heh.
I am still collecting gossip for you...nothing nearly as exciting as the last email. Can't wait to read your letter that will soon be posted in the taco shop!
I'm all for bee keeping..then you could go for a guinness record for largest bee beard! Wow! Mamba belts and bee beards!
Glad to hear you are well and happy!
--laura

MaggieThu said...

Isn't being a vegetarian great? I think so. Especially when the thought of eating a snake comes to light. How vile. Suz and I may or may not be dropping a little something in the mail for you tomorrow...hopefully it will get there by, you know, June? Heart you Bruddy and miss you!

Maggie

Anonymous said...

Ah brother, you are so insightful. I'm so happy that you have been able to find something that makes you happy. Isn't that what life is all about? We love hearing all your stories. Keep the pictures coming, I'd love to see more of your village and house. Sounds like you have some great ideas for projects with the people in your town as well. You know we're always here to help however we can. Love you bro, miss you tons!

Love, Sister

Becca said...

Hi Grant! Katy told me about your blog, and I have internet quite a bit more often than you so I obviously made it to your blog first! Sounds like you are having an incredible time. I was in Ghana as Katy said, but now am in Kenya (after going to Liberia) to open new clinics. Liberia had a lot of mystery bush meat so I feel your pain on the snake! Take care of yourself :) -Becca Conte

Anonymous said...

Hi Grant, You are doing so well with your attitude, health and great experiences! You are right on with your perspective of happiness! You are amazing to be sharing your life with your village and learning so much about another culture and way of living. Loved the snake! I bet you bring tons of happiness to those around you. Bless you for being there. Love, Auntie Jeanne and Uncle Pete

Anonymous said...

Grant,
Glad to see you are doing well, besides the heat rash and nagging paranoia about parasites, which I certainly can't blame you for having. I would also love to see pictures of your house and village. I really enjoyed the quote from your friend. It sounds about right. Take care! You rock!
Amy

Andy Baldwin said...

Hey ol pal! I just got caught up on your blog and really enjoyed reading passages. I always forget what a great writer you are and you always get some deep laughs out of me :) Great to hear that you are making the best of your experience, you are very inspiring, as your Mom said :) I will try to keep up more consistently now on your blog. BLAZERS are in the playoffs!!! whooo!! Take care and stay healthy

Anonymous said...

Hey Grant!
Happy Easter! I hope you will be enjoying some..umm..black mambo and bush rat in honor of this special day. Glad to hear you are healthy! :)
Miss you a whole bunch. Can't believe you have been gone 6 months already! I hope the next 6 go just as well. Take care and hopefully you get a lil' somethin somethin from Mags and I in the mail soon!
Love, Susie

Unknown said...

Hi Grant,
Wow what a fascinating collection of stories. I loved reading about all your culinary adventures. Just think you are the Andrew Zimmer of the PCV.!!!!!
You know who he is?? He is that TV Chef who goes around the world eating weird stuff for the camera. I think he would be hard pressed to match some of your menu items.
we have two packages being mailed to you. One is a bunch of Jelly Beans that you can combine to make flavor combo's and a some reading material with TONS of words. they are the New York Times Book Reviews. Things here are busy. Liz got engaged and is going to be married on May 29th 2010. Miles long term girl friend from N.Y.(2 years) got a job in PDX so she will be moving out in Oct to start that job. They are both excited but nervous about this change in their relationship. We will see what happens!!! Brynn is going to have a baby in Oct. Another girl, Amari is so excited about being a big sister.We will write more often. Take care,love the von Bergen's