Saturday, November 15, 2008

Finally a post

Hello all. wow where do i begin. first of all sorry for the typos. These french keyboards are a bit frustrating. But i ill get better with practice.

I visited my post for a week. It is amazing. The people are awesome, but very poor, and the children adorable and always ready to kick around a soccer ball...er I mean the football. Get out your Togo maps. It is northwest of the city of Atakpame. About two fifths of the way up the country. If you find the town of Nyamasilla north of Atakpame, then go 42 kilometers west. My post is halfway between the main highway and the Ghana border, deep in the bush.

The town is tiny and the countryside looks like what you imagine the African Serengetti looking like when you close your eyes. Tall grass. Rolling hills in the distance. Dusty roads. I would go for a walk and half expect a lion to jump out at me, but dont worry, theyre not around my village.

Training in Agou Nyogbo is also going great. Today we had to do a skit for our host families. We all played famous Americans. I was pop superstar Justin Timberlake, and naturally, now the whole town is infatuated with my dance moves. My host family is cool. I have three sisters, plus a bunch of other little kids in my compound.

We are going on a field trip next week to Northern Togo. It should be awesome, not unlike my french speaking abilities, which have drastically improved.

I have to wrap this up. I will post something better and more entertaining when I go to a city with better internet. Thanks for reading and I miss everyone. Oh and my health is relatively good. Just some um...interesting stomach issues every once in awhile. And my malaria medication makes me prone to visual hallucinations and very vivid dreams, which can either be a curse or a blessing. Bye for now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

TG! So great to hear from you. I thought about you all Halloween when there weren't any sexy giraffes around. I wish there were though. Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. We all think about you often and I just wish I had your black boxer briefs still on my fan so I have something to remind me of you. Love you, TG. The A's got Matt Holliday. Spring is somehow so close to now! ;)
- Wom Bomb

Anonymous said...

Grantie,

Oh how we miss you. Thank God you posted a post as Mom hasn't heard from you in a month - I swear she was about to call the main offices of Peace Corp to see if you were alive. We are going to Colorado for Thanksgiving. Try to give us a call at sissy's and you will get the whole family. We love you and are so proud. P.S. I sent you a package - hope it arrives in time for Christmas.

Alexis, Bill and Owen

MaggieThu said...

Grant! Hi! What kind of hallucinations? I have never had those, but have always wanted to! I am so envious of you in every way right now... Can you have visitors?

Maggie

katy said...

Loved your post Grant! But hate to say...loved Lexies post even better. Brought tears to my eyes! Stay safe and have fun! We're proud of you too! Love, Katy, Ryan and kids

Anonymous said...

Wow Grant. You have even inspired your Auntie Pam. I went to the Episcopal Convention in Seattle last weekend. I found the most interesting 'call for service' to be the one supplying Malaria Nets to Africa. On Sunday, our own church pledged $$ for the cause. Today in my junk mail, pictures of children who need care: the African 5 yr old is from Togo. I think it's a sign!! Keep up the good work Bud. God Bless, P.

Anonymous said...

Grant! Sounds like such an amazing time! I can picture you playing football with the kids and busting some sick dance moves out. Thank you for making America proud! :)
Hope the stomach issues end soon. Enjoy the hallucinations, though! haha I miss you so much. I will be thinking about you at Thanksgiving and our great holidays we celebrated together on Sussex and Ronald. Love you long time!
-Susie-